Sunday, February 04, 2024

Airport Diaries

It’s time to head back to the islands after a sudden long trip. I was here in Bengaluru to take some classes to a batch of trainees. I had to abandon my trip back, as dad suddenly developed heart complications and had to be admitted into ICU on emergency, just as I was about to head to the airport. The trip got extended by over a week. After his discharge from the hospital, I chose to stay back to get his first review done. 

All went smoothly thereafter, and I booked my tickets after the doctors declared he’s doing good and he can travel too.  I’m at the airport lounge (privileges of a card) to grab some breakfast, as the flight is at an early hour. 


The lounge at the new terminal (Terminal 2; my flight to Port Blair is Vistara) feels Claustrophobic in its design. Narrow aisles, crowded seating arrangement, and a caged metallic structure all over. The lounge is buzzing with travellers, all heaping up their plates with idlis, poha, paranthas, pooris, and accompaniments, surely to waste most of it. Some are even carrying two plates, another filled with all the baked goodies - croissants, cakes, and pastries. I am certain these very people would be posting lengthy notes on poverty and food on social media.  Just when I think my sarcastic brain has had enough fodder, I head to get myself some coffee before I head out to board the flight. 


I wait patiently at the counter, as a huge man bedecked with multiple thick gold chains and diamond rings blocks me from the tray that contains sugar sachets, napkins, and stirrers.  I notice from the corner that he is grabbing multiple tea bags the same tray contains. There are at least six different varieties of tea bags for the discerning tea drinkers. This man surely is a tea connoisseur. He has already bagged at least 12 - two each of every variety. For added safety he grabs some more, and shoves most of them into many pockets that his flowing dresses have. 


I am yet to decide if:

1. He’s truly rich, and all that glitters may not be gold?; or

2. He lives just by tea over the day, and hence he was stuffing himself with so many tea bags; or

3. He believes in tea therapy for his skin; or

4. He’s one of the regular Indians who loves anything available for free; or

5. He’s just another Uber rich person who believes all the resources are his, no questions asked!  


Do you agree with any of those five options above, or do you have your own theory about this?Anyone who can help me?

6 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir!! In my opinion he trying to compensate the hefty ticket price charged by the airline to whatever extent possible by doing so. I am sure he must be a good businessman...😛

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree 😂😂

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why the rich get richer...steal for free and invest in gold

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous G RAMA NARAYANA said...

What an observation sir! Appreciations for the depiction.
A few people have this habbit of grabbing the "freebies" for no reason. They either consider this act as their birth-right or they consider the Lounge organisers as more richer than himself. There is a possibility also that as the access to the lounge is based on Banker cards(Debit/Credit), they try to take revenge against their bankers by doing so.. they imagine/visualize their bank staff in the serving staff at lounge😊

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he should carry the coffee maker itself! 😅

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't blame the rush in the lounge , given the prices of food in the airport. It's become a middle class smart thing to get that credit card that gives you free access to lounge at the airport. Never the less doesn't justify waste of food. Typically people who do that are people in their everyday struggle have to think twice to eat them not that they are poor just that they have so many other priorities that they have to keep putting themelveslast most of the time

 

Post a Comment

<< Home