Sunday, February 25, 2024

Reversals

 Bumping into each other on a dating app had made the two connect after over a decade since college days. In a different city. They decided to meet over dinner. “Strictly dinner. Not a date. Don’t expect anything else”, she had been clear in her message even though she had added smileys for a good measure to soften the blow. 


Surprisingly to both, the time spent felt great, and not laboured. They hardly spoke to each other during college. He was considered a snob sob, and she a bookworm. He came from an obviously privileged background, while not many knew about her social status; she kept her hardships - poverty and scholarships - hidden carefully with her ‘don’t mess with me’ demeanour and fake glasses (inspired by Bollywood). 


Delectable food brought out the smiles, and good wine eased the conversation. She decided to prod. 

“I am surprised to see you working. Don’t you have a vast empire to run already?”

“Things were not working well in business. Also, I did not have the aptitude for it. What is your story?”

“First few years went off in repaying all the loans. And, getting a roof over my parents’ head. I have only begun now to explore life beyond the town I grew up in”. 

“Your game at college kept everyone at bay though. We just assumed you were haughty and hard to crack”. 

“Helped me hide my woes and complexes. It’s a different phase now. What’s your story, Mr Moneybags?”

There was that faint hesitation before he chosen to open up. 

“Business losses prompted dad to commit suicide. Mom almost followed suit, unable to overcome that loss. It took me a while to sort the mess out and make her feel it’s a life worth living”. 

“Sorry, I didn’t know. Shouldn’t have asked you, I guess?”

“I had never known money troubles. It was a great learning and sobering experience. Taught me what struggles meant for the less privileged. I guess I’m so much wiser and better because of that”. 

“And desirable…” she added almost inaudibly. He pretended not to have heard, but his smile was a giveaway. 

4 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely Sir ! Everyone has their own bag of worries ! It's all about how many times you look inside it, or not, and whether you wish to wail, whine or hide it (whatever!)!!

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's beautiful!

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely ☺️

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is one's own perspective to handle ups and down in life and enjoy every moment of life. Inspiring story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home