Monday, March 04, 2024

Show-Not-Tell

Can’t admire enough! The play of colours is both interesting and alluring”, she gushes. He could sense the sincerity in her words. Awash with a positive rush of blood, he says, “Thank you!”

She is at his home for the first time, since they have reconnected. 

“I didn’t know you were so accomplished. I haven’t seen much of your works being posted by you on any of your social media accounts”. 

“I haven’t made any effort. Also, I don’t paint frequently. It takes me a lot of push to pick up the brushes”. 

“But, I already see several adorning the walls here; enough even to hold an exhibition!”

“Done over a long period of time”, he shrugs his shoulders. 

“You should share this with the world. Why don’t you approach someone for an exhibition at a gallery?”

“I’m happy without doing any of that?”

“Why? Don’t you want to be well known? Anyone in your place would love to!”

“I love being recognised. Like how you appreciated my art. But I can’t handle large scale attention and adulation. Happier with smaller doses”. 

“Strange! Won’t you want your paintings hanging across galleries, or you remembered even after you’re long gone?”

“It wouldn’t matter to me once I’m dead, no?”

“Gosh! That’s morbid philosophy!”


There is silence for a while as they step out of his studio, and sit in the drawing. He makes coffee for both, and sits next to her. “You and I have both lost people in our lives. Initially we would dwell a lot over the loss, and gradually the memories started fading, and we continued to lead our lives…”

“What is the point of all this?”

“I am coming to that. I mean to just indicate this. Even the closest of the people do not remember the dead always. What matters - to them and to us - is living. Here and now. It’s perfectly fine for someone to leave a legacy behind. I do not desire that”. 


There is a long pause as she processes what he has said. “May be your legacy would be not leaving behind one!”, she says as she takes his hand in hers. 

“You could say that. Sounds good”. 

1 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved it. ❤️ By G RAMA NARAYANA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home