Friday, August 09, 2024

Viet-Nama: Journey of a Mad-Hatter

The Take-Off



Preface

I am a travel buff.  I possibly have been ever since birth, but discovered it only when my pay was adequate enough to step out and explore. Of course, I realised my love for it when I was in Bhutan in 2005, and travelled from one end of the country to another, on a road trip, but I still wasn't earning enough to set out anywhere. Come 2010, and my pay jumped thanks to promotion (and VI Pay Commission largesse), and I stepped out of the country to the UK alone (to see my sis, and to see the country).  The joy of discovering a new place all by yourself was exhilarating. I have been travelling ever since.  I have influenced others too to join in (and, have discovered I can be a decent travel buddy, too).

I hadn't stepped out of the country after my Thailand trip last October.  Japan didn't materialise in April.  So, was wondering where to go.  Sayambhu said he would join in too.  After considering multiple destinations, we zero in on Vietnam. He was clear that he didn’t want to travel 'unfriendly' nations, and that ruled out many a countries. “The weather though might be an issue”, I said, during our chat. It would be humid and wet when (if) we go in July/August. He  has no issues with any weather, he responded. So, I applied for permissions from my HQ (as a govt servant, one needs approvals from the govt before travelling abroad; and usually one is expected to apply for it at least a month before the travel), and when he travelled to Port Blair thereafter, we booked our tickets. After we agreed upon the itinerary for the weeklong sojourn, I booked domestic air tickets too (from Hà Nội to Da Nang, and from Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh) and our hotel stays. He would travel from Bengaluru, while I started from Port Blair. But, we took a common flight from Kolkata to Hà Nội. For the return journey, we flew together to Delhi, and thereafter go our separate ways. 

The travel day approached soon enough, and my travel plans came back from the HQ, duly approved. Even though I prepare well for travels, this time around, it became a last minute thing. 

The Take-Off

The day of travel arrived. I have a smooth sailing at the check-in counter (after an initial, minor hiccup with number of check-in pieces). Indigo Airline staff display unbelievable courtesy and I’m elated. With a smile I move to the security check. 

I place everything in the tray, and walk through the metal detector to the security guy to perform his mandatory screening. I notice he is tall, well-built and has his moustaches twirled up. He keenly observes me as he does his job of screening me, and patting me all over. 


“Sir, what is your age?”, he asks me in Hindi (‘kya umr hai aapka”)

I am surprised by the unexpected question and it takes a minute to register. He repeats it again. 

I say I’m 54 in English. Usually, my Hindi disappears when someone initiates a conversion in that language, and it repeated. 

I’ve stepped off the pedestal and now moved to collect my bag from the x-ray machine after due screening. The security guy calls out. 

“You’re amazingly fit" (“Ghazab ka fitness hai aapka”), he says. 

I beam, and mutter thanks. 

He then adds “What do you do sir?” (“Kya karte hain Sir aap?”)

“I’m in the Civil Services”. 

He immediately stiffens up. And says, “Sorry Sir. I thought you were into arts and culture. Actor”. (“Sorry Sir. Maine socha aap arts and culture mein hain. Actor”). 

I smile broadly, thank him again and walk toward the lounge. 

It seems the trip has begun on a positive note; I even wonder for a second if I need to board the flight at all, as I can possibly float all the way to Hanoi based on that compliment!


The flight to Kolkata was uneventful (flying by Indigo).  I had a long layover at Kolkata for almost 7 hours, and I hence headed out of the airport, in search of a good meal, and things to do to pass time. As soon as I head to a nearby mall, a torrential downpour started. I managed to reach a McD cafe, ordered myself a big burger meal. Soon I was cramping because the fries bloated my tummy to the size of a football! So much we love fast food, I cursed myself for touching them fries.  This bloating continued to trouble me even after we landed in Hanoi at 2 AM in the morning (0030 hours, IST). 


******


First Impressions


Morning 2am. 


Have arrived in a new country. We have made an error of not booking for the stay for the day/night of arrival. Our stay starts from 2PM, and the choice is either to stay late at airport or head to a hotel and stay.  We decide to go the hotel where we have booked and request for an additional day’s stay at extra cost, as it saves us from chugging our luggage across places.


The Two of Us



When we arrive it’s in complete darkness. We knock on the glass door, and the security guy opens the doors. We learn - with great difficulty, as the Vietnamese staff barely speaks any English - that there’s no accommodation available, the entire hotel is sold out. Most nearby hotels - as I walk around, wake them up, and find - are full too. 


We check online and find a hotel not too far away, to stay, at a reasonable price. We leave our luggage behind, as we would be back post lunch here itself, take the acknowledgement for the same, and head out. It’s barely a walk of about 250 metres. 


This hotel too - called the Imperial - is in pitch darkness. We wake up the staff. They realise we have booked for the immediate night/day, and get our room ready. We are amazed at their quick turn from sleepy joes to alert jays in a jiffy. 


Flowers at the Waiting Area: Imperial



The room is super-spacious, has two set of bay windows to boot. We have little energy left to admire, and crash in no time. We sleep till past 11am, wake up at around 11:30, and get ready quickly and, come down to the reception to check out. 


The Comfy Bed with an Ottoman at Imperial



The receptionist - a young lady who wasn’t there in the early morning when we checked in - greets us and enquires if our stay was comfortable. We affirm. As we hand the key card, take pics of the lobby (because it looks pretty, and because there's a piano), and prepare to head out, she says she has a small token/gift for us. She hands us two bags of coffee and filter, and says, “Have a great holiday!” 


I may not play, but I admire!



This gesture makes us almost cancel the bookings at the other hotel and stay right here at the Imperial. And, thus begins our adventure in the country that was called Indo-China.






12 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger Sridhar Sachidananda said...

Enchanting!!

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Prashanth pai said...

Lovely🫡

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey looking forward for the continuation 🥰

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Quintessential Critic (Sudhir Narayana) said...

Thank you, Sri!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Quintessential Critic (Sudhir Narayana) said...

Thank you!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Quintessential Critic (Sudhir Narayana) said...

The second part is ready, but will take some time to put that up :)

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Arvind Kaushal said...

Vietnam is a recurring destination in my travel plans. Found this piece interesting enough to look forward to the next part.

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sir

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Security encounter was hot, was he possibly queer? Did he you an extra pat and feel your body? It's always a fantasy of mine😜

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Keerthy said...

Very well writter sudhir. Looking forward for next part. Your writing motivates me to write about my travel experiences as well.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol. Talk about the kinks! 😅

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Keerthy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home