Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Hair Today…….Tomorrow!

Smarting me…


 I was returning from a long evening walk - a rare luxury lately - when an acquaintance bumped into me. We started with the standard professional small talk, but just as I prepared to bow out, he leaned in.

“Mind if I ask you something personal?”

“Go ahead,” I said.

“Do you dye your hair?”

I blinked. It had been years since anyone asked me that. “No.”

“Then why is your beard snow-white while your head is barely salt-and-pepper?”

“I wish I knew.” He stayed quiet for a moment. I thought maybe this is the end of it. It was just beginning. 


“Maybe you’re trying to copy Amitabh Bachchan,” he mused.

“In what way?”

“Well, he has a white beard and salt-and-pepper hair. Like yours”. 

“Amitabh wears a toupee, for God’s sake!”

He squinted, scanning my hairline like a forensic investigator. “Well... you might need one pretty soon yourself.”


I felt a sudden heat rising under my collar. “Why in the world would I wear a wig?”

“Aren’t you going bald? And, pretty fast of late”. 

“So what if my hair’s thinning?”

“Vanity. Your colourful shirts and hair gel,” he declared, adopting the solemn tone of a soothsayer. “You still want to look young. And, vanity cannot tolerate baldness.”

“Aren't you assuming a bit much?” Why was he being so accurate? 

“Just my professional assessment of you.”


Everyone, it seems, is a certified judge these days.  I smiled (and believe me, it wasn’t easy). “Tell you what - if I ever go bald, I’ll just start charging people for all the advice they give me about it.”


And with that, I bailed out, leaving him to appraise the back of my very real hair. Till it lasts!

3 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God only made a few perfect heads - to the rest, He gave hair 🤪🤪

Maybe you are getting there - “perfection”.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Quintessential Critic (Sudhir Narayana) said...

I never wanted to be perfect, but perfection is chasing me 🤣😝

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Bharathwaj said...

Comments and advices about a receeding hairline started when I was in my late teens and continue even today to the mid 40s. I just ignore all these people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home